Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Retirement!!

Today was Les' last day of work.  He has officially finished driving at UPS. No more wearing brown.
He will be going on UPS disability; if there is a miracle and he regains his health, he would have the option to go back to work.  There was a very nice going away meeting this morning at the center.  Well done crew!!
Here is a part of Les' "speech"

To my UPS family: Here we are once again gathered in Jim’s mechanic bay to say our good-byes to some schmuck that’s leaving this place.  But today it’s different because it’s me.  I have often envisioned what it would be like to say good bye to this place but I had no idea it would happen like this under these circumstances….let alone having some tall bald Norwegian having to read it for me. But God had a different plan, and that’s okay.   

It’s really too bad that I am finishing right now because I think that in about a week, week and a half, Doug & Robert are going to have EDD figured out and dialed in!!  They are sooo close.  EDD wouldn’t be so bad except that when Johnson was here and they launched EDD,he tried to reinvent the wheel  and screwed with all the routes.  Oh and good luck with whoever gets my route on that new time study they promised years ago.  18 ½ years and never bonused.  Did a couple other routes, bonused on them, but never on my own route.  Strange?
As many of you know, I have done several different jobs in my life.  When we decided to move to the Pacific Northwest over 21 years ago and pursue a job at UPS, that was one of the best decisions of my life.  Even though there are at times tension between the Union and management, the hours are long, and the work can be hard, it’s still a great job.  Don’t take it for granted!!  I know we all grumble and complain from time to time, but UPS is still a great place to work.  As drivers, we are all proud to wear brown.  I know I was.
 I want to thank Robert and Rick for being so understanding and making adjustments for me recently (and not throwing me under the bus).   Gunnar has gone above and beyond in trying to help me out the past few months.  I will not forget these kind gestures.  I want to thank ALL of you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers.  Remember that I live in Lynden and that is just a half a nine iron away.  Stop in some time for a cup of coffee and a visit, but don’t be surprised if I AM sitting around clipping coupons.  Fixed income you know! 
Lastly, I am okay and I will be okay.  I could not walk this road without my faith in Jesus Christ, my family and friends,  church community and all of you guys and gals right here.  You’re a big part of my life.
 Thanks for the memories!!             Les  
There is a bit of inside humor, but you get the gist of it.  Kris and Leslie were also there, very special. (Brett had early morning basketball practice! and Hannah is in Nebraska for Thanksgiving)


That quilt was made by one the drivers, Peggy.  She has been working on it for over a week.  The white strips are all signed by drivers, our friends, Les' customers, our small group people......so very cool.  Les and I did not look at the quilt this morning.......first thing I saw was Kris' strip and I started to lose it so decided reading the quilt will wait!!  Hopefully I can get a better picture when we get the quilt home.  The gifts we received from the drivers are amazing; Les received so many gifts and cards from his customers.  There have been so many tears and kind words over the past three days.  He is overwhelmed by peoples' show of love and kindness.

As his wife, I would like to say how proud I am of him.  He worked hard to support his family.  He rarely complained about the long hours. As a driver friend texted this evening "the great turnout this morning is a real testimony to the man, friend, father, husband and employee you are"  AMEN.  I love this man.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Karen, Les and family; You have all been in my prayers since I found out about this Journey that you are all on. God is Good and will continue to be with you and sustain you through the struggles and and amazing joys that you will go down this road!! Lots of Love in Jesus Name I lay you all at His feet!! Bless you all!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Am. Sobbing. Nobody will ever wear brown as well as Uncle Les did. Love you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's that kid on the first picture? Well done Les! I'm very proud of you!! Howard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les could always do the work by himself, of three men...and he still can, I expect UPS stock to crash Monday morning :). Today, I am thankful for Les, his talents,his example, testimony, and letting me be his friend...Steve-o

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will miss your weekly check-ins on Tuesdays at work, Les. Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do "bad things" happen to such Great people? Les has been such a blessing to us and I have only good things to say about him and so does the UPS driver I see on at work on a daily basis. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erwin and Alma KooistraNovember 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM

    Strong prayer support from our home for both of you as you travel this journey. We have alerted our kids and some other extended family so they can pray in concert with the rest of us. The Lord bless you and keep you........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Les.......I'm soooo very proud so of you.....and to be able to call you...my little brother!!! Your testimony of faith, your work ethic and patience (with those idiots that parked where you needed to be with your truck!!), your great sense of humor..............UPS was blessed to have you! Love you more than I can write!.... Your sister

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing...they are so right...shows what kind of a guy Les is...and look at those photos....I see Uncle Gerrit and also our Dad, Les's Uncle Elmer so much in them. Brought me to tears. What great guys these Kooistra men are and were! Those of us in West Michigan continue to pray for all of you and hold you close in thought. Your cousin Rose....Grandville, MI

    ReplyDelete