Sunday, July 20, 2014

Empty Nest (again....)

We are once again empty nesters.  We had an empty nest briefly after our daughter was married.  An empty basement - two empty bedrooms.  Lots of closet space.  Lots of room in the attic.  And then we heard the words "mom and dad, can I move home to save some money so I can buy a house?"  Um, sure??  Our son had been on his own for 7 years.  He was dating a sweet girl named Hannah.  We had hopes he would marry her.........so we agreed.  And thus he moved back home.  We did not realize how much sh... I mean stuff he had!  The closets were filled, the attic was filled, the garage was filled, all empty spaces were filled!  This boy has a problem!

Now it is 4 years later.  Yep, 4 years.  We have been looking for something for Kris for about 3 years.  Nothing was ever quite right.  He wanted property - but doesn't everyone want property?   So we kept looking..... Kris & Hannah got engaged in March.  Maybe they would live in the basement?  We have recently put a kitchen in our basement, not knowing what God would bring our way.  With Les' health issues, maybe we will need help and we could have someone live in the basement.

And then Hannah found a cute red house on 2 acres.  She fell in love, and they made it work.  They bought the house!!!  We are SO excited and happy for them. It is perfect, it is private; they have a beautiful, peaceful view out their back.  They received the keys on July 3.  A houseful of company arrived on July 3.  On July 4 Kris woke up, woke up his cousins, called his brother in law, and said "I AM MOVING TODAY!"  And he started loading.  He didn't think he had anything up in our attic.  Ha! said Les and Les went up in the attic and brought down piles.  We still have full closets and cupboards, but they are slowing emptying out.  Hannah is sorting and deciding what can go in the new house and what needs to get thrown away.   I am thankful it is her and not me.  Love that girl!!

And now I miss him.  I miss Hannah.  I miss hearing how their days were and what wedding plans were accomplished.  I miss having someone to talk to in the evenings.  I miss their friends popping in and out.  I miss Sunday night guacamole dip and movie night.

I DON'T miss the piles of laundry in my laundry room (I didn't do his laundry anymore).  I don't miss waiting for him to come home late at night (always a mom, right??)  I don't miss him taking a nap on our couch on Saturday afternoon when I'm trying to clean.  But I miss him.

In church this morning we read this verse, and I read it recently in Jesus Calling:  "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land.  I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."  Genesis 28: 15

A good verse to remember as our son starts his new family.  A good verse for Les and I to remember as we continue our journey with this disease.


No comments:

Post a Comment