Monday, September 5, 2016

The Final First

It has been a year of "firsts" for our family.  First holiday without Les, first birthdays - Les' and all the rest of us!, first Christmas, first New Years, first Valentine's, first wedding anniversary......you get the picture.  Some of these days were really difficult and some were fine.  I have learned that I never know what to expect!!

Dallas' recent first birthday was a pretty big "first".  She was born just two weeks before Les died, so those few weeks after her birth are full of memories......... Dallas is a dear, sweet little girl and she brings us great JOY.  Kris and Hannah hosted a fun birthday party; I realized on my way home from the party that these events are getting easier for me to do by myself.  I'm thankful for that progress!


Of course the final "first" will be the anniversary of Les' death, which is coming up this week on September 9.  There are 11 of us going on our big adventure this next weekend and I have been focusing on the hike more than that first anniversary.    I am so glad I have this hike to look forward to - and not dwelling on Les' anniversary.  I am SO excited (and a little nervous!!)  for this weekend and this hike.  Again, please keep us in your prayers on Sunday, the 11th!  Safety and no injuries!
Training hike to Church Mountain with Rick & Pam

Also coming up on September 17 is the local annual ALS walk.  We participated in this walk two years ago.  Les walked half of it (a little over a mile) and rode his scooter the second half.  We did not participate last year-- it was the same day as Les' memorial service.  If you are available, PLEASE join us!  You can either donate and be part of the "team" or you can just show up and walk. Click here to donate or join our team.


Because of the ice bucket challenges and these walks, the ALS association has raised SO much money and has made great progress in the research of ALS. There have been some exciting breakthroughs in this research.  I can only hope and pray that someday there will be a cure for this nasty disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment