Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Thankful

I looked up "thankful" and "grateful" in the dictionary.  Thankful says "expression of gratitude".    Grateful says "thankful".  I always wondered what the difference was.  I guess there isn't any.

I have learned that being thankful is so often a choice.

I heard a sermon long ago (and was reminded of it last Wednesday night by my friend Roger) that we need to "compare down" instead of "comparing up".   We need to focus on how we are so blessed. Now here we go into the Christmas season - all those ads and commercials make me a little crazy!  I feel like I need to go BUY BUY BUY.  I don't like it!

A few things I am thankful for:

I am thankful for my neighbors.  They fertilize my lawn.  One of them cleans my computer and cleans my espresso machine.  They bring me yummy leftovers. (FYI Dan's turkey soup is the best I've ever had!!!)   One of them sometimes makes home vet visits.  If I fall from a ladder when I am cleaning the gutters, they will probably see me.  I can borrow a cup of sugar from them.  I have amazing neighbors.

I am thankful for my workout classes.  These workouts were my "therapy" when Les was sick.   I have met new friends there.  Since my cholesterol is border line bad, I am trying to stay healthy - so I keep going to classes!  Thank you Bethany and Christian (and others) for kicking my butt the past couple of years.

I'm thankful for my dog.  When you live alone, you talk to yourself a lot.  At least I can say I'm talking to Dutch!!  Ha!  And it's nice to have him greet me so excitedly when I come home!

I'm thankful for all the people I work with - my dairy farmer, my construction workers, my boat people and my church people.   I am glad they are all a part of my life.

I am thankful for all the fresh snow on the mountains.  What a glorious sight.

Yes, being thankful is often a choice.  Many times I could just curl up under my blankets.  Or not accept an invitation to do something.  But instead I am choosing to be thankful and to get out and about and to have some fun.  Life is short!  Let's all be thankful!

From my Jesus Calling this week:   When your mind is occupied with thanking Me, you have no time for worrying or complaining.  If you practice thankfulness consistently, negative thought patterns will gradually grow weaker and weaker.   The Bible verse:  I Thessalonians 5:16-18 - "Be JOYFUL always, pray continually, GIVE THANKS in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Tomorrow is Les' birthday.  The second time he will have a birthday in heaven.  I ran across this picture a few weeks ago:

I'm thankful he was such a good dad.  I'm thankful he was a part of my life for 35 years.

1 comment:

  1. Karen I needed to hear this tonight. I'm feeling a little restless in life since things with Gabby's care have slowed down. This reminded me that I need to look around at all the blessings in my life and just be for a while. You really do lead a wonderful example for the rest of us on how to be grateful. I admire you. Thanks, Bekah

    ReplyDelete