Sunday, February 18, 2018

Dad Update

Thanks so much for your prayers!!  Many of you have been asking for an update on my Dad.   Easiest way is to blog!
A mutual love!

Last Sunday morning Dad was brought in to ER.  The overnight help we had, sweet Elizabeth, had been up with him almost all night.  When mom got up, Elizabeth recommended we bring him in.  Faithful nurse Kay was called and she came over to help make the decision.  Nothing could be done for dad, he was so so agitated!

I was out of town.  My niece Gretta Claire was in the Apple Blossom Pageant on Saturday night, and I decided to make a quick trip to Wenatchee to attend.  We had 24 hour care for Dad, so I felt okay leaving.  I had a great drive over the mountain - the sun was shining on those glorious mountains.  It does the soul good to see the majesty.  Gretta Claire won - she is the queen.  It was such a fun night!  I stayed with my niece Dani and her family - we always have a great time together.

On my way home Sunday morning, friends Jay and Marlene advised me Dad was in ER.  I went straight to the hospital and met mom in ER.  Dad was still there, but he was going to be admitted to the hospital.  We talked with the neurologist on duty.  He was going to slash Dad's medications and see if he was perhaps over-medicated.  At this point, Dad was very agitated.  He didn't know who we were.  I decided to take mom home - we didn't need to be there for that.  We knew he was safe and that the nurses would take good care of him.

Long story short, Dad is still in the hospital.  He has not been on his feet since Sunday morning.  Thursday when I was there, I fed him his lunch.  He's eating pretty good, but has no strength or energy.  Sometimes he is fairly aware of what's going on, other times he is not.  His pattern is to get worse in the late afternoon/evening.  This is apparently referred to as "Sundowners" and is common with dementia.  The doctors are playing around a little with his meds, but it appears this will be the new normal.   Yesterday, tho, Dad was unresponsive all day.  He would mumble, he would eat his food, but he wouldn't open his eyes.  When Pastor Ken, Kay, Mom and my brother Don sang Amazing Grace, dad mouthed the words!   We left him resting quietly last night.

We are not sure when he will be released.  At this point, it looks as if he will go directly to the Christian Health Care Center.  We aren't sure if that will be permanent or not.  We are not sure if he could be transferred later to one of the memory care facilities we visited.  He will not be going back home.

My mom is doing well.  She is relieved to not be responsible for him at home.  It's hard to watch your spouse deteriorate - I know this all too well!!!   Dad usually knows mom and asks for her often.  He was asking quite often for us to get him out of there.......and he also shows his humor often.  He tries to make jokes with the nurses.  That is good to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment