Thursday, March 13, 2014

Too Many Goodbyes

We have been to TOO MANY funerals lately.  The first one was for a member of our church - a sudden death.  Les and I were both blindsided by how hard it was to sit through the service - maybe since it was in our church, our pastor, a guy a little older than us........ We walked (ran, more like) outside afterwards and burst into tears.  Very hard.  The second service was for Marty, one of my dad's best friends.  I went with my parents, who flew up from Arizona for the service.  This also was difficult! but it was nice to be there with my parents.  A hard loss for my mom and dad.

The third was for my Aunt Nan a week later.  She lived in Seattle.  She had a tough going in her younger years, but through that started Seadrunar, a rehab for drugs and alcohol in Seattle.  Her and her husband ran this program and grew it into what it is today; along with a recycling center for the patients to work at.  Aunt Nan was the next above my dad, and now my dad is the only sibling left.  The service was so great, Aunt Nan was honored and represented well by her family.  She was so much fun, so dedicated to helping others; she will be missed by many.  My younger brother and I with our uncle and cousins:



Recently our town lost Don Smith, a man loved by many.  He was married to my cousin Nyla.  Again, a sudden illness and now his loved ones will miss him so much!!  My dad had coffee with Don on weekday mornings - Don liked to call my dad "cuz" since he married Nyla.  Another friend my dad has lost.

Another recent, difficult loss for us was our neighbor, friend and fellow church member, Ken.  Ken also had ALS.  His ALS developed in his limbs first, and the disease progressed rather quickly over the past year.  Since we are dealing with ALS, this is so personal to us and so difficult to watch.  His wife Jan walked over the other day just to give us hugs - she knows.  I had some of their girls in youth group several years ago - they are all so special to me.  The service was so well thought out and so personal - very emotional for Les and I. 

"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life.....The Lord will fulfill (His purpose) for me; Your love, O Lord, endures forever."  Psalm 138:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment