Thursday, October 30, 2014

Tough Day

Les had a tough day. If you could see his wound you would understand why.  My parents spent the night in the same hotel as I so they drove me to UW.  We got to the room around 9 this morning.  Les was still very groggy from pain meds.  He said he was awake every 15 minutes through the night.  We hadn't been there very long when PT showed up.  She wanted to sit Les in a chair.  She had blue streaks in her hair so my dad asked her how they got there??

Anyway, she got Les in a chair but his blood pressure dropped, he got very dizzy and light headed.  Right about then, 8 people showed up in the room to discuss Les (just like on Grey's Anatomy!).   It was a little crazy for awhile, and Les was not feeling well at all.  PT disappeared so the charge nurse had to come help get him back in bed.  The docs all thought Les was doing great.  He was wondering about feeding, so they said they ordered his nutrition.

Les was then able to snooze and I was so amazed that he wasn't "hucking" up gunk all the time AND not constantly suctioning saliva!! Around one daughter-in-law Hannah and her mom picked me up for lunch.  When we got back to the room Les still had not eaten and he was still not feeling well and was getting a headache. Apparently the order for nutrition had not gone thru!!  Poor guy hadn't eaten since Tuesday night and all he had in his system was pain meds!  He finally got a feeding going around 4.  Sweet student Landi (who we have known since she was 4) showed up and it was so fun to visit with her!! She will be a very good nurse some day; she was very helpful.  Hopefully we will see her again tomorrow.

When I was leaving a couple interns were making the rounds.  They again said Les is doing great.  They thought maybe Les' head/neck pain was from surgery and their pressure on his neck while operating.  Les is staying in ICU again and I am glad!  He needs a good night of rest and some nutrition.  I am sorry I cannot answer all your texts and calls.  I am also very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment