Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Iowa Roots

Recently I traveled back to Iowa.  Les was born and raised there - most of his family live out there.  I went to college in Iowa - met Les there. We lived there for the first 10 years of our marriage. Our children were born there.  (In fact,  it's been 25 years since we moved here - during the Farmers Day Parade!)  We have some roots back in northwest Iowa.

Honestly, I was a little nervous about going back.  I guess it was another "first" - first time being back there without Les.  It had been 6 years since we visited. BUT besides the cold, cold rainy weather, I had a great time!!  So much visiting, so much food.

My sister Sharon picked me up.  When we drove from the airport in Omaha, I couldn't believe the miles and miles of farm land.  Most of it had been plowed and planted, little 2 inch corn plants coming up.  I had forgotten that there really is a beauty to that landscape!  I had flown the last little bit through thunder storms (a VERY bumpy ride!!!!) and apparently Sharon and I were driving through near tornado conditions.  We found out later that both Sioux Center and Orange City had sounded their tornado sirens that afternoon we were driving....whoops.........  Good 'ol midwest thunderstorms!!!
Barn "quilts" are popping up - so fun!
Orange City was celebrating their annual Tulip Festival, and wow that is a big deal!  Six parades over 3 days.  We made it to one parade, all dressed up in our Dutch dresses.  It was one of three parades that weren't cancelled because of rain.    Sharon and I went looking for a latte one day (it is much more of a hunt there than it is here!!)  and this new place had just opened up.  It is very cool!  If  you are ever in Orange City, I recommend it!!


I spent a morning with a college roommate, Kim.  She lost her husband to a heart attack 8 years ago, so we had lots to talk about.  We are connected through our loss. She is a dear soul.

I spent lots of time with my Iowa bestie, Nancy.  No matter how long it's been since we've we talked, when we talk or see each other again, it's like we had just been together the day before.   I spent an evening with our dear friends Steve and Rachel.  More good food and a great visit with these Iowa farmers.  This is the family that Dutch came from!
We had to walk at the indoor college track cuz of rain!

Several of  Les' family got together that cold rainy Saturday afternoon/evening.  We had yummy yummy food and lots of fun chatting and reminiscing.  FYI, the big guy, Phil, is a a great barbequer.  I also went back on Sunday to attend church with them and had coffee with some of Les' high school friends.  Like I said earlier, I had a really great time and there is always so much good food!  I didn't get to see all the people I wanted to, so I guess I will have to go back.  I'll just wait for some warmer weather next time.
LOVE my in-laws
These boys tho.....
My sister and her husband Denny were great hosts.  Denny is a good cook - asparagus omelettes, smoked brisket - so good.  It was nice to be waited on by him!  Sharon has been here MANY times the past four years, it was nice to be on her "turf" with her.  I'll see them again in a couple of weeks!!

Downtown Omaha is pretty fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment